TO BECOME A BETTER PERSON
If you yearn for goodness, then perform good deeds and be humble.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 465-16
Parvirṯī narviraṯ pacẖẖāṇai.Gur kai sang sabaḏ gẖar jāṇai. Kis hī manḏā ākẖ na cẖalai sacẖ kẖarā sacẖiārā hė.
Good is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."
- Say “Good morning” to the bus driver or the people you encounter.
- Don’t explode if your children muddy the carpet.
- Greet your late arriving spouse with a joke rather than a nasty epithet (Egg head).
- Try to judge you’re self rather than others says Guru Angad in Raag Majh:
TIPS FOR TAKING DAILY INVENTORY
- Free your heart from hatred.
- Free your mind from worries.
- Live simply.
- Give more.
- Expect less.
The person, who earns through hard work, and then gives away some in charity, has realized the true path of light.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Sarang, AGGS, Page, 1245-19
ਤਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਮੋਖੰਤਰ ਪਾਏ॥
Bhaou Bhagat Kar Neech Sada-ay, Taou Nanak Mokhantar Pa-ay.
Guru Amar Das ponders on trust in Raag Sarang:
ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਗੁਰ ਥੈ ਟਿਕੈ ਹੋਰ ਥੈ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥
Parāī amāṇ kio rakẖīai ḏiṯī hī sukẖ hoė.Gur kā sabaḏ gur thai tikai hor thai pargat na hoe.
a)Those, who confess their own faults and mention the excellence of others, are the highest type.
b)Those who highlight their own excellence and decry the faults of others are worse.
c)Those, who parade their own faults as excellence and deride the excellence in others as faults, are the worst. People of the last type seem to rule the day in our time.
Guru Nanak in Japji, leaves up to God’s Grace despite one’s efforts: